Re: [Rollei] Cosina 50mm F3.5 Heliar

> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen  >
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:33:30 -0500
> To: rollei  us
> Subject: Re: [Rollei] Cosina 50mm F3.5 Heliar
>
> Let me ask a serious question...While the Heliar lenses, and the other
> names in the series, may have been fabulous lenses in their days, are
> they, objectively, as good as the current Cosina lenses bearing those
> names? Given the various assessments of the Cosina lenses, I would guess
> the answer is 'no.' And, if that's the case, then can't one view having
> the Cosina lenses bear these venerable names more a tribute to great
> lenses of an earlier age than anything else?

Hard to generalize, but some old Voigtländer lenses are quite comparable
to the best of today's glass.  I have a 300 mm Apo-Lanthar which I use on
my 8 X 10 and 4 X 5 cameras which is just astonishing in quality.  The true
Heliar lens has a very characteristic look which no other lens has.

That being said, I am not offended by the newest Cosina-built lenses bearing
those venerable names, but would have been happier if they had reserved the
names for optical designs similar to the older ones.  For one thing this
would have helped prevent future confusion.

Bob