Re: [Rollei] Winding mechanism repair issues

At 06:16 PM 05/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi. I've owned a Rollei for over 40 years, but I'm brand new to this list
>and so I don't know if this is an overdone topic or can be found in the
>digests (which I don't yet  know how to get to.)
>
>I have a question about wind mechanisms. My beloved 3.5 Planar Rollei
>stopped cocking the shutter when wound. Film advances, everything seems ok,
>but the shutter isn't cocking. A reputable repair company (many of you have
>probably heard of) told me that the wind mechanism was worn and thus the
>lever that comes out from the side of the body wasn't pushing far enough to
>get the rotating ring to push far enough to get the cocking lever to catch
>and thus cock the shutter. He said the repair might involve machining parts
>and would be $400. I said send it back, I wasn't ready to go that much. I'm
>now using another Rollei with a 3.5 Tessar that is a delightful camera--but
>I want to use my Planar (the camera got me started in a career that was very
>good to me.)
>
>I do know enough about the insides of a Rollei to generally agree with his
>diagnosis--but is there any hope the repair could be less somewhere else?
>Has anybody resolved this problem successfully for less than $400?
>
>Dave Jonsson

  The diagnosis is probably right. There is an adjustable cam for the
stroke of the lever but if there is enough wear it may not have enough
range anymore.
  One symptom can be a shutter which will cock with the lens at one extreme
of focus but not the other. Typically it will cock at infinity but not at
minimum distance.
  I would check with Marflex or Harry Fleenor about cost of repair. $400
sounds a little high even for a complete overhaul.
- ----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk