Re: [Rollei] Film advice needed

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Rabiner" <mark  >
To: <rollei
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Rollei] Film advice needed

> Bob Shell wrote:
> >
> > Before it is processed and has the dyes injected,
Kodachrome is just
> > black and white film.  I see no reason that it ought to
be less stable
> > than other black and white films.
> >
> > Bob
>
> My Ektachomes from the 60's are Fig Newtons of my own
imagination.

> My Kodachrome II's have not changed. They are stuck in
time.

> As nice as the Fuji stuff is now-a-days, Astia and so on
and the Kodak
> as well, that super saturated stuff I'm not convinced how
they'll look
> in two quick decades. So I'm hoping Kodachrome will
somehow survive. A
> new Steve Jobs like guy to turn Kodak around and make sure
their
> Flagships don't die. Bring back Panatomic X.
>
> Some of your products are what your company is all about
even if they
> are not the big money makers if you ask me. If there's any
company which
> should be in the "image" business it should be our own
company, Kodak.

> Mark Rabiner
> Portland, Oregon USA

http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html

  I have on the shelf a 16mm promotional movie from Kodak
about how film is made. Quite interesting but its on Eastman
color, a form of Ektachrome and is mostly magenta shadows. I
don't remember the copyright date but probably from the '60s
'70s. The fading of Eastman Color negative caused a scandal
in the movie industry some time ago when it was discovered
that the camera originals from many feature pictures were
just ghost images. I used to tell people to have silver
color separation safeties made, not many did.
  BTW, one reason Disney cartoons have held up so well is
that they were made by successive exposure on the same film
so the color separation images have all shrunk together.
They register perfectly when reprinted.

- ---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA